Thursday, April 12, 2012

YOU TRY TO HARD

Words told to me in the fifth grade.
A girl had just come back from living with her family overseas for a few years.  It was a huge deal in our little school.  Everyone wanted to be this girl's friend including me. But I failed to win her over.  I don't remember how I even tried, to become her friend all I know is that it didn't work.

I do remember asking her why she didn't like me.  (now that I think about it wow was I blunt back then).  Her reply was you try to hard at getting me to like you.  Even thinking about that incident now makes me step back and go wow.

That was a pivotal point where I started not caring if people accepted me for me.  Granted it was a very small step but it was a step.  It was also a step of me starting to bounce from group to group of people trying to find my niche.  A niche that I never did find.

Now that I am an adult, I still find it hard to develop a friendship. I can do friendly chit chat with about anyone but to foster  it for longer than a few hours forget it. There are many acquaintances in my life but very few friends.  I still wonder where did I go wrong when growing up.  What piece of the puzzle in my developmental is missing for making friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment