Thursday, August 2, 2012

I suck at this, blogging and sometimes parenting

Keeping up on blogging that is. There is always so much to write about but never enough time.

Today's topic, getting out of the normal child mindset. Most children have issues with change.  Even adults have issues with change.  I get that.  Generally kids on the spectrum resist minor changes, going from one activity to another. G seems to have trouble with big changes.  As seen below.

We have been issues with G behavior.  He has been violent, destroying things, hitting kicking, scratching and biting.   Not listening, needing to be physically removed from situations, and verbally abusive (that hurts saying your child of 4 can be verbally abusive.) just plain out bad.  As a parent, the normal course of action is to look at all outside factors to figure out what is going on. I had most of them pinpointed. There has been change in his life.

- Preschool ended, there was a 2 week break for him.  During that time he was in daycare all day for 1 week.
-Then he got shots for kindygarden.
- The next week we had an allergist appointment where he got pricked again.  Plus he was home with me for that week.
-Then his summer school started, a new teacher but same room.
- Then come to find out there was personal change at the daycare, no notice to warn him what so ever and staff was wondering why he was off.
-During this he got sick and missed 4 days of school.
-We also started with a psych , for his behaviors.  (After being on a wait list for 6 months).

Here I was banging my head against the wall wondering why he wasn't improving. I know there are changes but still he should be adjusting. Then with the psych, she reminded me that G can't verbalize what he is feeling. Yes he is verbal, but he can't put his emotions into words he can use.  So he lashes out.  Plus we could also expect this behavior to continue maybe into Oct.  By then he should have adjusted, if we are lucky.

Here I was thinking that with other kids they adjust in a few days.  I was thinking he should be like that.  NO, I have to break out of that mindset.  He needs longer, but I was in the mindset that he could just transition from one situation to another with no issues what so ever.  Well joke is on me.




No comments:

Post a Comment