Thursday, August 18, 2011

Girls on the spectrum

I found as my daughter got older the more defiant and oppositional she got.  At first we chalked it up to my husband and I getting married, her starting school, then me getting pregnant.  Then maybe hormones knocking at the door early.  But the older she got the more difficult she got.  It didn't interfere with her school work.  But socially she was floundering.

This past Feb as she was doing the valentine cards for her class, she made the comment, " I don't know why I am doing this, it isn't like anyone deserves a card from me." After I got over the shock of the statement, I asked for an explanation it was then I heard just how hard of a time she was having with her peers.  She was struggling emotionally and I didn't even know how bad it was.

So I find a counselor the first appointment was just me with lots of questions.  I filled it all out, and started the session talking about how L was up till this point.  By the end of the session the counselor said you know since your younger son is on the spectrum, I am betting she is.  I was dumfounded, she is normal, well as normal as one can be.  Sure there are issues, ok more than a few.  But still really, another child on the spectrum.  I went home to  Google land, and racking my brain.  Things start falling into place, and making more and more sense.

Her tactile issues, hating to walk in grass in bare feet.  Her insisting on separate utensils for foods on her plate.  Sensory issues to loud noises.  Excellent verbal skills from a young age.  And the animal obsessions.  Some things as she has gotten older have chilled out others have gotten worse.

Then I read on how since girls are such good mimickers they fall through the cracks when it comes to ASD.  I wonder where I would be at if I hadn't taken a step and said hey I can't handle my child any more.  I need help

No comments:

Post a Comment